The following is a Practice Exam for you to improve your knowledge about the Driving Laws in New Jersey. Even though it is a very useful tool to help you prepare the written exam at Motor Vehicle, however, it is not a substitute for reading the current New Jersey Driver Manual. Please make sure you read New Jersey Driver Manual in addition to this Practice Exam to ensure complete success.
The correct answer should be with green color.
|English Test Practice 2:|
|1. If you are driving behind a school bus and it shows a flashing red light signaling a stop, he must:
Slow down to 10 mph
Speed up and pass
Stop directly behind the bus
2. The best way to talk to other drivers is to:
Be courteous and wave
Roll down the window and yell
Motion with your hands
3. Altering a New Jersey license may result in:
up to $10,000 fine and up to 18 months imprisonment
A $100 fine and 2 years imprisonment
A $500 fine
4. A single, solid white line across a road at an intersection means:
no parking zone
5. Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) in the body is related to:
The amount of alcohol he drinks
The time he takes to drink the alcohol
All of the above
6. When two vehicles enter an uncontrolled intersection, who should yield the right of way?
Driver on the left
7. An eight sides sign means:
8. When using the brakes, a common mistake a new driver makes is:
Stopping too soon
Pumping the brakes
Pushing the brake pedal down too hard
9. How far must a driver park from a crosswalk?
10. Dates for studded tires on New Jersey?
December 15th to March 15th
November 15th to April 1st
December 1st to March 1st
11. A driver should signal at least how far before his intended turn?
12. Studies show that the greatest number of people arrested for drunk driving have been drinking:
13. If you move into the state of NJ, how long do you have to apply for a NJ driver's license?
within 2 weeks
within 60 days
14. If a student fails the driving test the first time, how long must he wait before he can take it again?
At least two weeks
15. What indicates under inflated tires?
Excessive wear on the side walls
Excessive wear on the center of the tire
None of the above
16. Unless otherwise posted, the speed limit in a school zone is:
17. If you drive 40 mph in wet pavement and/or gravel road condition, what is your minimum safe following distance?
6 car lengths
12 car lengths
8 car lengths
18. What should you do when a car is approaching with high beams?
Look to the right of the road
Put you parking lights on
Slow down and pull off the roadway until you are able to see
19. Yellow lines down the center of the road
Separate traffic flow in opposite directions
Mean a residential district
Mean a curve or hill ahead
20. Passing is prohibited on:
In a school zone
The right side of another vehicle
Roadways with speed limits posted over 40 m.p.h.
21. If your car breaks down on an expressway, the first thing you should do is:
Flag down a police officer
Lift your hand
Try to pull off the road
22. The deceleration lane is used for:
Getting off the road
Right turns only
Passing on the right
23. To obtain a NJ driver license or non-driver ID card, you must present these identifiers:
proof of identity
proof of citizenship
proof of age, identity, address and that your presence in this country is authorized under federal law
24. If a person has been drinking what can sober them up?
Taking a hot shower
A full meal
25. In order to steer the car while moving backward, you should turn:
The steering wheel in the direction you want the rear of the car to go
The steering wheel clockwise for the rear of the car to go to the left
The steering wheel in the direction you want the front of the car to go
26. The order of colors on a traffic light from top to bottom is?
Red, Yellow, Green
Green, Yellow, Red
Red, Green, Yellow
27. The meaning of a hand signal when a driver's hand and arm is downward is:
Slow or Stop
28. Why would you be attending a DMV Driver Improvement Program?
Because of the point system
Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Because you failed your road test more than twice
29. What colors is a stop sign?
White and Yellow
Black and Red
Yellow and Black
30. You are considered by law to be under the influence when your BAC has reached:
31. A 5-ounce glass of wine contains the same amount of alcohol as:
a gallon of wine
a 6-pack of beer
one 12-ounce can of beer
32. The implied consent law means:
Driver is of legal age
Driver agrees to cooperate
It means nothing
33. What road marking indicates that it is illegal to pass in either direction?
Single broken line
No line markings at all
Double solid line
34. Drugs that may affect basic driving skills are:
some prescription drugs
all of the above
35. A flashing yellow or amber traffic light means
Slow down, proceed with caution
Stop, then proceed
36. When a School Bus has stopped directly in front of a School to pick up or let off children, you may pass from either direction at a speed of no more than:
37. When driving in fog, what lights would you need?
Any of the above depending on visibility
38. Double solid lines would be found on what type of road?
On a winding two-way road
One Way street
None of the above
39. An articulated license allows the operation of:
all types of vehicles
a commercially registered vehicle of 18,000 lbs. or more joined by a coupling device
a vehicle with less than four wheels
40. Headlights, not parking lights alone, must be used:
One-half hour after sunset or one-half hour before sunrise and anytime in bad weather
One-half hour before sunset or one-half hour after sunrise and anytime in bad weather
Dawn to dark
41. The two-second rule refers to:
Following distance in ideal road condition
The distance ahead of you that you should be looking
42. Hand signals:
Vary in every state
Vary in some states
Are the same in some states
43. You are driving directly behind a large truck, how do you know if your vehicle is in the trucker's blind spot?
When the sun is not glaring
You can not see the truck's mirrors
You are never in the blind spot, trucks have extra mirrors
44. What should you do if a traffic light is not working?
Ignore the traffic light
Treat the intersection as if it was a 4-way stop
45. If you are in an accident where there is personal injury and you are on the revoked list, you will receive a jail term of:
46. Depth perception means the same as:
The speed of a moving vehicle
None of the above
47. The inspection sticker on a new vehicle is good for at least:
48. Hydroplaning is most likely to occur:
During nighttime hours
In a heavy rainstorm
49. A flashing red light means:
Slow down and proceed with caution
Proceed with caution
Stop and proceed with caution
50. What does a yellow solid stripe on your side of the roadway center line mean?
do not pass